The basic Little SIS setup and adoption process is outlined in these steps:
- Installation: Little SIS application is installed on a Windows machine (typically a VM) by an administrator account that has super-admin rights on your Google Domain. Because it is a local app, Little SIS runs with local computing resources, can be given access to a local or network file system location where data exports will be scheduled for delivery.
- Current state analysis: Little SIS provides a detailed view of all Classroom classes on the domain. To gain initial insight, we recommend using the Little SIS Classroom Overview tool to explore and gauge the current state of Classroom adoption on the domain.
- Data extraction and automation: Automated CSV enrollment exports must be scheduled for automated delivery to an accessible local or network folder via a scripted direct database query or native SIS auto-send functionality. This functionality is not provided by the Little SIS app, and is likely to be different depending on SIS and local technology and expertise, and must be configured by your team unless you want to purchase additional support hours from Amplified IT.
- Pilot sync job setup: A pilot Little SIS job is created, which includes user-configured data source file identification, joins, and field mappings that are used to transform SIS data into Google Classroom classes and rosters. Inclusion and exclusion rules are used to limit the pilot to a handful of teachers.
- Manual sync analysis and staging of actions: A manual sync analysis surfaces all the new Classroom classes and roster updates that can be executed for a job. It also identifies potential matches to existing teacher Classroom classes, and these linkages can either be actioned, ignored, saved as exceptions during execution.
- Execution of staged actions: Staged actions are those actions that have been approved by the administrator.
- Job automation: Once you’re comfortable things are running correctly, steps 5 and 6 can be set to be run as fully automated process!
- Try out guardian sync: While not required for a successful pilot, getting guardian emails auto-populated into Classroom can be a great value proposition for teachers. Learn how to set this up.
- Pilot scale up: With a successful pilot under your belt, you can now modify inclusion and exclusions, and create new jobs, to bring your Little SIS adoption up to the next appropriate level of scale in your district.