Little SIS Sync Agent has many features. Over time, you will find that some of these are more important to you than others. Following are some important features for most admins and ones that you are likely to use.
What Little SIS Sync does
- Creates new Classroom class invites as needed for SIS classes.
- Populates/updates student rosters on any linked Classroom classes. Adds/removes students from Google Classroom rosters based on changes in your SIS.
- Identifies and links existing teacher-created Classroom classes based on SIS roster matches.
- Allows for analysis and sync of Guardian Notifications invitations in Google Classroom. This includes triggering Google's guardian email invitations automatically based on SIS data.
- Installs and runs entirely on a school’s physical or virtual (VM) Windows or Mac device.
- Interacts with CSV files exported from your SIS to the device or network location where it is installed.
- Permits flexible mappings to Google Classroom required fields from a wide variety of data export schemas.
- Acts under the authority of a super-admin account on your domain.
- Works via direct connection to the Google Classroom API.
- Allows for the exclusion of groups of classes using logic rules on any field in your export files.
- Notifies teachers in a single email per day of all new classes and/or changes performed on their classes. Note: Emails are only sent when there is a change, and the global teacher notification setting is enabled in Little SIS.
- Notifies admins on staged and/or completed jobs. An accompanying text file contains a summary of proposed changes, performed changes, and errors.
What Little SIS Sync does not do
Little SIS Sync Agent is a powerful tool but there are some actions it is not designed to perform. It is important to note these few things you cannot do with Little SIS Sync Agent.
- Sync grades from Classroom back to your SIS. Note: Google has initiated some beta programs to sync to grade books in certain SIS's.
- Interact directly with your SIS in any way, even via database connection. Little SIS Sync merely consumes the CSV export files that you deliver to it. It has no ability to modify data in your SIS.
- Automate your SIS extracts. Little SIS Sync cannot control or schedule the export of data from your SIS. Exports are typically scheduled via a pushed file delivery by the SIS server. Or an ODBC or JDBC database client can pull the data and create a CSV file on a schedule. The AIT team may be able to provide some guidance and recommendations on these processes. This automation setup is the responsibility of the district. Automations are outside the scope of Little SIS Sync onboarding support.
- Store student data anywhere outside the local filesystem. Little SIS Sync is a local client application. Any data it stores as a part of operations resides in the filesystem of the device it is installed on.
- Transmit student data to any location other than the Google Classroom API. Little SIS Sync uses direct HTTPS transmissions to Google’s servers. This is no different than the transmissions between your logged-in browser and your Gmail or for online banking. Data transmissions occur under the authority of a super-admin account on the school’s Google Workspace domain.
- Transmit student data via non-HTTPS and/or non-OAuth2-secured connections. All API calls containing student data occur via the OAuth2 protocol, as enforced by Google, using a role account that lives on the school’s domain.