What Little SIS Sync does:
- Creates new Classroom class invites as needed for SIS classes.
- Populates / updates student rosters on any linked Classroom classes. Adds / removes students from Google Classroom rosters based on changes in your SIS.
- Allows for the identification and linkage of existing, teacher-created Classroom classes based on a roster match with the SIS.
- Allows for analysis and sync of Guardian Notifications invitations in Google Classroom, including the ability to trigger Google's guardian email invitations automatically based on SIS data.
- Installs and runs entirely on a school’s physical or virtual (VM) Windows or Mac device.
- Interacts only with CSV files that have been exported from your SIS to a location available on the device or network where it is installed.
- Permits very flexible mappings onto Google Classroom required fields from a wide variety of data export schemas.
- Acts under the authority of a super-admin account on your domain, and via direct connection to the Google Classroom API.
- Allows for groups of classes to be excluded using logic rules on any field in your export files.
- Notifies teachers in a single email per day of all new classes and/or changes performed on their classes. Note: Emails are only sent to teachers if changes have been performed, and the global teacher notification setting is enabled in Little SIS.
- Notifies admins on staged and/or completed jobs, including a text file that provides a complete summary of all changes proposed and/or performed and any errors that occur.
What Little SIS Sync does not do:
- Sync grades from Classroom back to your SIS. (Note: Google has initiated some beta programs to sync to gradebooks in certain SIS's.)
- Interact directly with your SIS in any way, even via database connection. Little SIS Sync merely consumes the CSV export files that you deliver to it. It has no ability or need to modify data in your SIS.
- Automate your SIS extracts. Little SIS Sync cannot control or schedule the export of data from your SIS. This is typically done via a pushed file delivery accomplished by the SIS server, or via some kind of ODBC or JDBC database client that pulls the data and creates a CSV file on a schedule. While our team may be able to provide some SIS-specific guidance and recommendations on these processes, these automations are the responsibility of the district to set up and are outside the scope of Little SIS Sync onboarding support.
- Store student data anywhere outside the local filesystem. Because Little SIS Sync is local client application, any data it stores as a part of operations resides in the filesystem of the device it is installed on.
- Transmit student data to any location other than the Google Classroom API. Little SIS Sync uses direct https transmissions to Google’s servers, no different than those that occur between your logged-in browser and your Gmail or typical online banking account, and they are performed under the authority of a super-admin account on the school’s G Suite domain.
- Transmit student data via non-https and/or non-OAuth2-secured connections. All API calls containing student data occur via the OAuth2 protocol, as enforced by Google, using a role account that lives on the school’s domain.