Unlike Class and Roster Sync jobs (for which you can create as many data sources with defined scopes as you like) Little SIS organizes Guardian Sync into a single "job" for the whole domain.
This means that you will likely want to ensure your CSV export contains the entire universe of students for whom you may eventually want to send guardian invitations. Just as with Class and Roster sync jobs, you'll be able to apply inclusion and exclusion rules to this job, so if you're still in a pilot phase, in general you don't need to worry about filtering out students in your export process.
Step 1: Select and map your data source
Your data source must be in CSV format, and must contain Student G Suite Email and Guardian Email (at minimum), and can be structured to contain either:
- One row per student-guardian relationship (e.g. a student with three guardian contact emails on file would contain three rows)
- One row per student, where multiple guardian email addresses may exist in one or more columns within the row. (e.g. the student above might have columns for guardian_email_1, guardian_email_2, guardian_email_3, etc. or comma separated list of guardian email addresses in a column)
Other optional, but very useful fields to include:
- Student ID (useful for SIS lookups)
- Student Grouping (such as grade level, homeroom, house, etc. useful for sorting and display purposes in Little SIS)
- School ID (useful for display purposes, and for applying inclusion and exclusion rules)
- Anything else that might be worth using for inclusion and exclusion rules in your context
Note that when mapping the Guardian Email(s) field, if your data source contains multiple guardian email fields, you'll want to click into the field mapping builder text area and insert a comma between the field blocks.
Step 2: Set Sync Scope
The Sync Scope step allows you to constrain the universe of students for whom guardian sync will apply. This can be quite useful during pilot phase, as it will allow you to only include school sites, grade levels, or other relevant student groupings (if you've included these columns in your source data) in the sync.
You will need to create at least one inclusion rule to define the outer boundary of the data set. If you want to include all students, we recommend using the the rule Student G Suite Email contains @.
Step 3: Set Update Preferences
Configurable update preferences include:
- Whether or not you want guardians both ADDED AND REMOVED, or just ADDED during the sync.
- How old an invitation should be before a new one is sent.
- The max number of invitation attempts to make to the same guardian email address.
Step 4: Set Automation Settings
You can configure the sync job to be:
- staged and run manually
- staged automatically on a schedule but held for manual execution
- staged and run automatically on a schedule, with threshold conditions for holding the job
We recommend starting off with a manual run until you are confident in the integrity of the process.