Little SIS Premium is a web app add-on to Little SIS Classroom that can create and sync Google Classroom classes with student information system (SIS) data. By automating and syncing Classroom classes and rosters to a district’s enrollment system, Little SIS Premium offers:
- Fewer obstacles for teachers to navigate in the adoption process.
- A consistent online workflow for students across their classes.
- A seamless way to track students so that they are not left behind. These could be late arrivals, transfers, or those who missed Classroom orientation.
- Tech integrators more time to focus on instruction and less on the tech itself.
- Parents a consistent window into their child's digital work with guardian synching.
Little SIS Premium has many features. Over time, you will find that some of these are more important to you than others. Following are some important features for most admins and ones that you are likely to use.
What Little SIS Premium does
- Creates new Classroom class invites as needed for SIS classes.
- Populates/updates student rosters on any linked Classroom classes. Adds/removes students from Google Classroom rosters based on changes in your SIS.
- Identifies and links existing teacher-created Classroom classes based on SIS roster matches.
- Allows for analysis and sync of guardian notifications invitations in Google Classroom. This includes triggering Google's guardian email invitations automatically based on SIS data.
- Permits flexible mappings to Google Classroom required fields from a wide variety of data export schemas.
- Acts under the authority of Google Workspace super admin account on your domain.
- Works via direct connection to the Google Classroom API.
- Allows for the exclusion of groups of classes using logic rules on any field in your export files.
- Notifies teachers in a single email per day of all new classes and/or changes performed on their classes.
Note: Emails are only sent when there is a change, and the global teacher notification setting is enabled in Little SIS.
- Notifies admins on staged and/or completed jobs. An accompanying text file contains a summary of proposed changes, performed changes, and errors.
What Little SIS Premium does not do
Little SIS Premium is a powerful tool but there are some actions it is not designed to perform. It is important to note the following things you cannot do with Little SIS Premium:
- Sync grades from Classroom back to your SIS.
Note: Google has initiated some beta programs to sync to grade books in certain SIS's.
- Interact directly with your SIS in any way, even via database connection. Little SIS Premium merely consumes the CSV export files that you deliver to it. It cannot modify data in your SIS.
- Automate your SIS extracts. Little SIS Premium cannot control or schedule the export of data from your SIS. Exports are typically scheduled via a pushed file delivery by the SIS server. This automation setup is the responsibility of the district. Automations are outside the scope of Little SIS onboarding support.
- Transmit student data to any location other than the Google Classroom API. Little SIS Premium uses direct HTTPS transmissions to Google’s servers. This is no different than the transmissions between your logged-in browser and your Gmail or those used for online banking. Data transmissions occur under the authority of a super-admin account on the school’s Google Workspace domain.
- Transmit student data via non-HTTPS and/or non-OAuth2-secured connections. All API calls containing student data occur via the OAuth2 protocol, as enforced by Google, using a role account that lives on the school’s domain.