Whether during staging the sync or running the sync, there may be errors. In this article, we will cover how you know there are errors in either of these processes and the steps you can take to fix the errors. Once fixed the info will repopulate on the next run.
First, we’ll look at errors when staging a sync job. Then we’ll review errors during the actual sync run.
Errors when staging a sync job
During sync analysis, Little SIS checks that teacher emails in the enrollments file are active in Google Workspace. A tally of errors appears in the Data Source Issues section on the Summary tab in the Sync Analysis. The count includes suspended, invalid, or inaccurate email addresses and blank emails. You can click on the source data issues tally to fix these errors.
To fix source data errors, do the following:
- From the Summary tab in Sync Analysis, click # classes are excluded due to source data issues. The Excluded Classes page opens.
- In the Exclusion Reason filter, select Teacher Email does not exist in Google Workspace. This filters to show invalid emails and classes with blank teacher emails.
- Add or update the email addresses as necessary.
Once you resolve the errors, the classes are created on the next sync.
Errors during the sync
When Little SIS Premium jobs run, the admin(s) listed on the Sync Settings page receive a sync log via email. A text file attachment accompanies the email. The text file contains a detailed view of all changes performed by the sync.
If there are errors when the sync runs, the number of errors appears in the email body. These errors also appear at the top of the attached text file.
The number of errors corresponds to each occurrence in the enrollments file. For example, a single invalid student email address can result in upwards of 6 errors in the sync log. Each time the student email appears in the file counts as 1 error. Errors in the sync log are either student errors or teacher errors. When there is a teacher error, every student in the teacher's classes will also appear as an error in the log. This happens because they are not able to be added to this teacher's class.
If there are errors when the sync runs, you will see the number of errors appear in the email body, and errors will appear at the top of the attached text file.
It's important to note that the number of errors corresponds to each occurrence in the enrollments file. For example, a single invalid student email address can result in upwards of 6 errors in the sync log, as each time the student email appears in the file counts as 1 error. Errors in the sync log are either student errors or teacher errors. If teacher errors are present, then every student in the teacher's classes will also appear as errors in the log, since they are not able to be added to this teacher's class.
Types of sync log error messages
Typically, teacher errors come from invalid teacher email accounts. Some other error messages can appear next to a student email address in the sync log. Let's take a look at these errors.
- BAD REQUEST/INVALID: There is an issue with the student's email address. It's either suspended or incorrect in the sync file, in most cases. In some cases, the student may be in an OU where Classroom is turned off. If students are in a separate domain or subdomain from teachers, be sure that all domains are listed in the Settings > User Accounts Domains area.
- ALREADY EXISTS: If a student's email address changed since they were added to Classroom, you'll get this error. The student likely exists in the Classroom already. A User Directory refresh can prevent these errors from reoccurring.
- FAIL - 503: This is a Google server error, and the action was unable to be completed. Rerunning the sync will resolve these errors.
- FAIL - 403: This is a permissions error. It likely means that the account used to authenticate Little SIS Premium is no longer a super admin account. To manage Classroom changes, the Little SIS Premium account must be a super admin account.
- 400 Errors: 400 errors are Precondition check errors. They occur when an aspect of the Classroom is in a state that prevents the change from occurring. The Classroom API reference contains a detailed list of these precondition fails. You will likely need some assistance from our support team to help diagnose these errors.
- API/BATCH ERROR: These errors occur when the Classroom API cannot respond to the number of API requests. A re-sync will resolve these errors.
- PENDING INVITATION EXISTS: This refers to a primary teacher change that was unable to complete because there is already a pending primary teacher change for the class. To resolve it, the current primary teacher must remove the pending request in the Google Classroom, or the invited teacher must accept the invitation in Classroom.