Event-o-Matic is a Google Sheets Add-on that lets you merge spreadsheet data into calendar events. Let's take a look at how to create a Calendar event from a Google Sheet. In this article we’ll cover how to produce events on one calendar. If you want to produce events on more than one calendar, you can do that too.
Before you begin
Because you are using a Sheet to create Calendar events, you’ll first need to set up your Sheet. Add a column header to the sheet for each piece of information your calendar event will have. Basically, the what, when, and who for the event. Here are some column header examples:
- Event Title or Event Description
- Start Date and End Date
- Start Time and End Time
- Guest List
- If guests are going to be included, there must be a designated column that includes valid email addresses. An example header could be labeled Guest List.
Note: The spreadsheet must contain a minimum of two header entries. Calendar events meeting this minimum will be full-day events in the Calendar.
Now that you have your Sheet set up, you can fill out the rows for your Calendar events and then open Event-o-Matic.
Creating events in Event-o-Matic
- In Google Sheets, open the Sheet with your Calendar event information.
- Navigate to Add-ons > Event-o-Matic.
- Click Setup.
- Click Setup again. The Event-o-Matic Setup stepper opens.
- Using the Calendar drop-down, select the calendar in which events will be created.
- Using the Sheet of Event Information drop-down, select the Sheet that contains your event information.
- Click Next.
- In this step, you’ll match Calendar event fields to the columns in your Sheet. Select the appropriate column for the Event Title, Event Description, Guest List, and Location drop-downs.
- Click Next.
- In this step, select the duration of events by matching the event start and end date/time to the columns in your Sheet. By default, the Date & time in one column box is checked. If your date and time appear in the same column, leave this box checked. If Date and Time separate columns, check Create full day events.
- Select the appropriate column for the Event Start Date and Time/Date of first day in all-day event and Event End Date and Time/Date of last day in all-day event drop-downs.
- Click Next.
- The fourth step will show a summary of all the selections made. If you need to change any settings, click the appropriate blue checkmark on the top timeline.
- Click Preview. The preview shows the date and time of the event, description of the event, email addresses of who will be invited to the event, the organizer’s Calendar, and the time zone.
- Click the blue checkmark at the bottom right of the popup, and the events will be created!
Additional column headers will have been created at this point:
- Event Status: Lets the user know if the event was successfully created.
- Event Link: Provides a link to the calendar event that you can use to open the event directly from the spreadsheet.