A job in Local Hero entails uploading data from a source CSV file into a Google Sheet. In order for the app to function properly, a target sheet will need to have a target data definition by having including columns in the first row of the sheet.
- In order to create a job with Local Hero you must first select the target Google Spreadsheet. Copy and paste the ID or full spreadsheet link into the Google Spreadsheet ID. It is recommended the target sheet has a title that illustrates its purpose.
- Once the link has been pasted, select load sheets. This will upload the spreadsheet data into Local Hero. Then choose the target sheet that contains the data you want Local Hero to use.
After selecting the target Google Spreadsheet, select the source CSV file, by either dragging it into the target area or manually selecting it from your device.
Once all of those steps are completed, click continue.
Note: In order for scheduled jobs to run without failure, it is important that the folder location and filename of the CSV remain constant within your SIS export file delivery process. In other words, when setting up your scheduled export job, your new export file will need to assume an identical name and directory location, overwriting the old file.
Next, Local Hero wants to map CSV data to its destination. Indicate which columns to include, and how you want columns to be mapped, from the source CSV to the destination Sheet.
The target sheet headers are your spreadsheet column headers and the source CSV headers are the first row headers in the CSV file. Click continue once the source CSV headers have been filled.
Choose how you want Local Hero to handle updates. Select if and how you want source data to update records in the destination Sheet. There are four actionable options:
- Clear and replace data in destination sheet: All data below the header row in the destination sheet will be cleared and replaced each time the app runs.
- Append source records in destination sheet: New data will be appended below the last data row in the destination sheet each time the app runs.
- Update records based on unique key match: Each time the app runs, mapped values in the destination sheet will be updated with new information from the source CSV file based on matching record identifiers. Records will only be updated if they have a match in the source CSV and no new records will be added.
- From a dropdown menu, you are able to select the Source Key and Destination Key to define the matching relationship.
Upsert records based on unique key match: Each time the app runs, mapped values in the destination sheet will be updated with new information from the source CSV file based on matching record identifiers. If new records are found in the source CSV, they will be added to the destination sheet.
Perform a test of your job. The job will populate the Google Sheet with data using the mapping you defined earlier. If the test was a success, you will automatically see updates in the Google Sheet.