The Gopher Buddy Chrome extension actively monitors the user's device for new network activity. Every 5 minutes, a check is performed to see if new activity has occurred since the last check. If new activity is found, the session (stored in the user's Chrome profile) is extended by another 5 min. If no new activity has been detected, the previous session is assumed to have been ended, and is reported up to the Gopher Buddy database. This means there is always a potential for unreported sessions to exist on a user's Chrome profile until the next time they log into Chrome, and for the "last reported user" to be different in the report than in reality...
To understand what this means in the real world, see the scenario below:
- Thursday morning, Joe logs into Chromebook A and works online for 10 min, stops for 10 min, then starts working online again for another 15 min. The 10 min session for this student gets reported to the Gopher Buddy database, while a second "open" session is stored in the user's Chrome profile, but not yet reported to Gopher Buddy database.
- Thursday afternoon, Jane logs into Chromebook A and works online actively for 25 minutes before shutting down the device. An "open" session is stored in the user's Chrome profile, but not yet reported to Gopher Buddy database.
Running the Single Device Report for Chromebook A on Thursday afternoon will show only one 10 min session for Joe happened on Thurs, and that Joe was the last user of the device.
- Friday afternoon, Joe student logs into Chromebook B and works for 10 min. On the first check for activity, the session for Chromebook A from Thursday is detected and sent to Gopher Buddy. Joe closes the Chromebook. Friday's session is "open" and is stored in the user's Chrome profile, but not yet reported to Gopher Buddy database.
- Jane does not log into her Chrome profile at all on Friday.
Running the Single Device Report for Chromebook A on Friday afternoon will now show both of Joe's sessions from on Thurs, and that Joe was the last user of Chromebook A.
- Monday afternoon, Jane logs into a home computer that is not a Chromebook, using her managed Chrome profile. On the first check for activity, Jane's 25 min session from Thurs on Chromebook A is detected and sent to Gopher Buddy. No session data from Jane's home computer is ever captured.
Running the Single Device Report for Chromebook A on Monday evening will now show both Joe and Jane's sessions from Thurs. Assuming no other users have touched Chromebook A since Thursday, Jane will now show as the last user of Chromebook A.