Schools are tags that are assigned to Google Classrooms based on the school to which the primary teacher is assigned. Schools are used to filter the Explorer grid to isolate Classrooms of a particular school site. Schools are also used to restrict the Classrooms that your delegated users can access.
School tags can be auto-applied to classes from Administration > Schools by adding lists of teacher G Suite usernames for each academic year in which classes were created on your domain. To provide automation and reduce maintenance overhead, a Google Group containing all teachers at a school site can be auto-synced to the current academic year and then copied / modified into previous school years.
To create a new School, from the menu on the left side of the screen, click on Administration > Schools. Then click Add School in the top right hand corner.
- Enter the name of the school, and select a color, then click Initialize School.
- If you would like to sync teachers via a Google Group, enter the full Group email address. Then click Validate and sync. **only available for the current school year**
- You do have the ability to make changes after you sync the group. To do that, un-toggle the Sync daily, and then check the box next to the teachers you want to remove and click Remove teachers. Use Add teachers to add teachers to the school. **this will make the teacher list a static list, instead of being able to sync daily.**
- If you prefer to manually add/remove teachers, you can type in full teacher names and emails into the boxes and click Add teachers.
- Click Save.
If you are looking to add teachers to previous school years for a school, and want to use the google group used when creating the current school year teachers:
- Select school year desired, and then click Add teachers.
- On the first line you should see the school year you selected. You can select and add to multiple school years at one time if you wish.
- You may either add teachers individually, as a copy-paste from your clipboard, or copy a list from another academic year and modify it.
- On the last line, select the school year from which you want to copy.
- Click confirm.