Education Standard and Education Plus editions can export Google Workspace logs and usage reports to BigQuery. This feature allows schools to analyze and get insight into activity across their domain without being limited to the default expiration times for admin console data.
About BigQuery with Google Workspace for Education
Getting Started with BigQuery
Use the articles below to learn more about using BigQuery.
- Google Workspace logs and BigQuery
- About Reporting logs and BigQuery
- Recording of Amplified IT's BigQuery Training Webinar
Troubleshooting and FAQs
Do I need to purchase Google Cloud Platform (GCP) if I want to leverage BigQuery?
Yes. If you are an Amplified IT customer, please contact your account manager for more information.
Is exported data retained longer than admin console data? How long?
The retention period depends on how you configure your data exports with BigQuery. If you set up a BigQuery export of your Google logs per Google's support page, you may notice that only the last 60 days of data are kept.
How can I verify my data retention time in BigQuery?
- Login to https://console.cloud.google.com/bigquery with the account that manages your BigQuery project.
- Go to the project where your data is stored.
- Expand the project to view the datasets under it. Then expand the dataset where your Google logs live.
- Click the ellipsis to the left of the activity table and select open.
- Select the details tab and look for partition expiration. If there is no partition expiration listed, your data is retained indefinitely.
How do I change the retention time for my exported data?
You'll need to change the expiration date for each table in the export: activity and usage. To change the expiration date on the activity table to one year, run the query below with your unique project id and dataset name. The same command can be run against the usage table.
Visit this Google Cloud document for additional information.
Additional Help with BigQuery
Amplified IT customers with a support contract can reach out to their account manager to schedule a BigQuery Support Stack.