The Gopher for Users Add-on for Sheets provides a powerful way to create, manage and gain insight into user accounts on a Google Workspace domain. Thanks to the power of Google Data Studio, Gopher for Users' data cache can now be visualized with rich, shareable, and embeddable dashboards.
Before you start, some gotchas to look out for:
- Before you will be able to use Data Studio connectors, you must turn the Data Studio service on for your OU and accept the Google Data Studio terms of service from Google's UI.
- Some third-party Chrome Extensions, such as UBlock Origin, Securly, and NetOp, are known to cause interference with the Data Studio Connector to template workflow. We believe this results from the blockage of Google Analytics traffic. If you encounter a System error for all graphs in your templates, you may need to disable these extensions and redo the connector setup steps.
Working with connectors and reports
To get started with connectors and reports:
- Navigate to Run reports in the sidebar.
- Click Connectors.
Note: The Data Studio connectors feature requires that the cache be enabled.
- Click on the User Properties connector.
- At the Navigate Away prompt, click Continue.
- We recommend you give your connector a clear title, so you can identify it in the future. The title is located at the upper left.
- From the Select Data Source drop-down, select the data source to use; My Cache or Example Data Cache.
Users with a Gopher for Users license and the appropriate Google Workspace administrative (API) permissions both options. All other users will see Example Data Cache only, which allows users to preview the reporting functionality with fake data.
- We also recommend that you select Use report template for new reports.
- Check the Allow Selected data source to be modified in reports checkbox if you want report editors to be able to modify this value to request additional or different information.
- Click Connect.
- Next, you'll see the pre-defined connector fields. Click Create Report.
- At the prompt, click Create Report.
- Click Create Report again.
The default Data Studio report template
By default, the Gopher for Users Data Studio connector connects to the user cache selected during setup. Once access to this data is established, all viewers of reports that use the connector see this same cached, auto-refreshing data.
There are three pages to the report:
Use the Page # of # drop-down at the top left to change pages.
Last login dashboard
Useful for discovering groups of users that may be lagging in their adoption, in need of password redistribution, or suspension/deletion. Filters for Assigned OU, Last Login, Creation Date, and User Email.
Admin security dashboard
Quickly identify super admins and delegated admins, role-based, where 2FA has not been set up.
Address Book Visibility
Since many districts prefer to keep student accounts out of the address book, this can be a great way to spot and fix anomalies by OU.
Important reference documentation