Warning: CDW Amplified for Education does not recommend this licensing process. Proceed carefully. Following these steps results in assigning licenses to suspended users, which are difficult to clean up later.
Auto-licensing by OU is best for large organizations with a suspended OU for inactive users and a list of licensed users that only changes occasionally. The organization should intend to license EVERY user in the selected OU and have a planned workflow to reclaim licenses from the suspended user OU. This method works best when there is a cushion of licenses. It offers the advantage of license removal protection since nothing can remove an auto-assigned license from users in the OU.
- Log into Google Admin console.
- Navigate to the Subscriptions page.
Main menu > Billing > Subscriptions
- Click on the license type you want to assign.
- Click Manage licensing settings.
- Ensure that you keep the Automatic licensing OFF at the Root.
- Navigate to the OU you would like to auto-assign licenses to and click the pencil icon next to Google Workspace for Education Automatic licenses OFF.
- Click OVERRIDE for any OU that you would like to apply licenses to. Licenses are automatically applied to any user within that OU, including suspended users.
- Repeat the process until you have auto-assigned the users who need Google Workspace.
Note: If you move users to a suspended OU, the Google Workspace license remains on their user account. You must manually remove Google Workspace (paid editions) licenses from suspended users after moving them from an OU that has auto-assign applied.
Alternate auto-licensing option from CDW Amplified for Education
If this method for licensing is close but not quite what you need, consider CDW Amplified for Education's licensing tool. This tool is free for customers who purchase Workspace licensing through us. It allows for automatic licensing by OU or group and recognizes suspended users.
|Description of Change
|Minor text changes and verified article