Dynamic Groups is an option to specify what users get licenses, especially when you must select multiple Organizational Units (OUs). Using Dynamic Groups in tandem with our licensing tool, Admins have more control than when using only OUs. Once set up and in use, when a new OU needs to be added or removed, instead of requesting for us to do so, you can modify that OU within the Dynamic Group.
Creating The Dynamic Group
Note: Be sure the Admin performing this action has a Workspace Plus/Standard License assigned. The Admin does not need a Workspace Plus/Standard License assigned. The Create dynamic group option is available as long as the domain has a Plus/Standard license.
- In the Admin console, navigate to Directory > Groups and select Create dynamic group.
- Select the desired condition from the condition drop-down.
- Ancestor Organizational Unit includes the OU and the Sub-OUs underneath it.
- Parent Organizational Unit only includes users directly in the OU selected.
- Click PREVIEW at the bottom to ensure the displayed users look accurate.
- Once confirmed, select CREATE DYNAMIC GROUP, input the desired Email Address, and create.
- As with any group, ensure you've set the Access Settings to your desired restrictions. As a group used only for licensing, consider restricting the Who Can Post setting so users aren't able to Email this Group.
Pro Tip: Because Org Unit ID shows the selected OUs for a Dynamic Group, it can be difficult to note what specific OUs a Dynamic Group uses. Consider making use of the Description field to provide a summary of who the dynamic group contains.
Options for Dynamic Groups
Dynamic Groups can be used to include and exclude certain OUs. For example, in this screenshot this Dynamic Group will include all users within the Student OU and Sub-OUs (as noted by the Ancestor organizational unit equals Student) except for users who are directly in the Grade 01 OU. This scenario can help limit OUs that contain users who don’t require licensing if the OU is within a top-level OU that does require licensing.
Note: While there is no limit to the amount of conditions in a Dynamic Group, there is a 10,000-character limit based on the Dynamic Group’s query.
Modifying A Dynamic Group
At the time of writing, modifying a Dynamic Group can only be done by creating an entirely new query or modifying the existing query. Meaning you can’t simply change the drop-down selections.
- Find the Group from the Directory > Groups page or search for it at the top of the Admin console.
- Once chosen, select Edit Membership Query.
- There you will see the current query at the top, which includes the unique IDs of the organizational units. Scroll down and select CREATE NEW QUERY.
- Begin crafting an entirely new query. Depending on the amount of conditions you’ve previously had and the complexity of the change, this can be an arduous task.
- If you only want to add a new OU, you could choose the OU type (Parent or Ancestor) and select the OU as previously done. You can see the newly generated query for that OU at the bottom.
- Highlight and Copy the query.
- Select the EDIT ORIGINAL QUERY option and append the query from the previous step to the end of the original query. To append a query, add || (The OR operators) to the end and then paste it in.
- Click save.
Note: Anytime a Group is in the process of being updated, the status will show Updating memberships. Once complete, this status will turn green and display Up to date.