The Update domain groups feature lets you add and remove users from Google Groups that are managed via your Google Workspace domain. Bulk updating domain groups is a simple process:
- Load users to the Sheet in Gopher for Users.
- Filter the sheet to locate users to add/remove from domain groups.
- Run the Update domain groups Bulk user action.
Things to keep in mind
Adding or removing a user to/from domain groups requires that the data you input into these columns be valid with respect to the possible changes that can be performed on each user. The following are invalid values and will be ignored during the update if discovered during the preview process.
- Can't both Add & Remove: This means you have entered the same group in both the Add and Remove columns in the sheet.
- User is already a member: The user is already in the group to which you are trying to add them.
- User is not a member: You are trying to remove a user from a group that they are not a member of.
- Can't operate on nonexistent group: You've misspelled or left off part of the domain group's email address or used an illegal separator between multiple groups. Groups must be comma-separated.
- You can filter for each error type by clicking on the left-hand region bearing the relevant label.
When loading users to your sheet, you have the option to include current group membership, to help you identify users that need added to or removed from domain groups.
- On the Import Users to Sheet tab of the sidebar, check the Include Group Membership box to include the Current group membership column on the Sheet. This is a read-only column.
Note: This will increase the time it takes to load the users.
Filtering the Sheet by Current group membership can help you identify those users who are missing from a group and need added or who are a member of a group and need removed.
Running the update domain groups bulk user action
- Click Bulk User Actions tab of the sidebar.
- Click Update domain groups.
- In the Domain group changes column, specify the groups users are to be added to or removed from. Separate multiple group names with a comma.
- Click Next. A preview of changes opens and can be viewed as a list or per user.
Setting Description List View This is the default view. Per-User View Toggle the slider in the upper right corner of the preview modal to switch between list view and per-user view.
- Click Run Bulk Actions.
- Click Done to return to the sidebar.
- Click Done to return to the Bulk user actions tab.